This details the VisiTrax change history for each released version, in reverse chronological order.
Changes as of version 2.11.3:
- All new installer using Inno Setup engine.
- Added new export support for GigBuilder.com (WeDJ.com).
- General usability improvements.
Changes as of version 2.11.2:
- Library file backup/save sequencing revised to improve reliability and also better preserve any special file security settings.
- Improved method used to check library files for write access.
- Revised Add New Track dialog to better help user avoid inadvertently creating successive duplicate entries. At start of each new track entry, Title field is now blank, and Cancel button caption reads "Done".
Changes as of version 2.11.1:
- Corrected "on-line Help is unavailable" problem encountered on some Vista PCs.
Changes as of version 2.11:
- New Help file format for improved Vista support.
- Numerous general usability improvements and bug fixes.
Changes as of version 2.10.2:
- Fixed: "Read-Only File" dialog appears with no library file open.
Changes as of version 2.10.1:
- Changed dialog font to Arial for compatibility with more locales.
Changes as of version 2.10:
- Added function to remove track numbers in a volume (useful for audio file volumes that you'd rather keep sorted by artist/title).
- Now remembers last-selected printer (even if not the default printer).
- Now inhibits library content revisions if library file is read-only or protected.
- Now retains custom resizing for Volume/Track details dialogs for duration of session.
- Revised CD player so that "More than one entry was found" message now appears only if the remote server needs to be queried for track titles; also clarified the message wording to be more self-explanatory.
- Within .TRX files, names of any audio files located under the VisiTrax program folder are now saved using relative pathnames.
- Loosened track time tolerances associated with Update Audio File Links.
- Did away with grid auto-refocus behavior (more annoying than it was worth).
- Additional miscellaneous internal improvements and fixes.
Changes as of version 2.9.10:
- Changed CD insert detection to avoid drive polling.
- CD Player now permits hiding track artists for various-artist CDs, as long as all the artist fields have been filled in.
- If CD data server returns only one matching CD, that title is now selected by default; if multiple CDs, CD category info is included in the list.
- Added automatic focus recapture and dual-mode mouse wheel handling to the database grids.
- Added database filename to taskbar button.
- Fixed: Host name resolution leaking threads and handles.
- Fixed: Notes checkbox not cleared each time Track Details activates.
- Fixed: After clicking "New" then entering some data, File > Save becomes enabled, when only File > Save As should be enabled.
- Fixed: Autoconnect to Server triggers redundant remote CD data lookups.
- Fixed: Invalid CD selection index associated with freedb queries.
- Fixed: Notes exceeding 4095 characters causing combo box string overflows.
- Corrected minor errata in Help documentation.
Changes as of version 2.9.9:
- Corrected print preview lock-up problem that arose in 2.9.8.
- Corrected page number tracking skew in print preview scroll bar.
Changes as of version 2.9.8:
- Corrected problems related to Edit > Re-index Volumes.
- In File > Save As dialog, removed extension from default file name so that selecting different file type affects saved extension.
- File > Save To... now sets default path from that of most-recently-used file (if available).
- Preferred default data folder for new users is now My Documents.
- Derivation of freedb category from library volume category is now case-insensitive.
- Progress bar dialog now appears during repair for orphaned text strings.
- Help > How to Use Help now links to WINHELP.HLP.
- Uninstall is more thorough than before.
Changes as of version 2.9.7:
- Now supports Winamp v5 (in addition to v2.9).
- Now retains focus as topmost window after interacting with Winamp.
- Update Audio File Links function can now fix up tracks with a filename but no pathname.
- In CD Player view, with no data yet entered, now shows Track Artist column by default. Also improved "unable to submit" descriptions.
Changes as of version 2.9.6:
- Now works with Winamp v2.x to support MP3 and other audio files. Imports Winamp playlists, initiates play of selected tracks and track sets.
- Added new filter to list only those items linked to audio files.
- Highest track numbers are now 9999, 9999B, B9999 (formerly 999, 99B, B99). Column widths automatically adapt to reflect numbering actually used.
- Added library database statistics to the About box dialog.
- Added "Export Volumes List" to File menu (exports as generic .CSV).
- Track or volume lists exported to generic .CSV now consist of a core export set plus any additional columns currently selected into the main set.
- Auto-Hide Artist setting in Contents view is now persisted between sessions.
- Lite Edition no longer displays registration reminders when viewing data from .trx files saved by Standard Edition.
- Removed extra one second gap time from group time computations, since CD track times typically include any gap time already.
- In CD Player view, "Swap Artists and Titles" checkbox is now available virtually all the time.
- View > Light Dialog Fonts option now applies to CD Player view as well.
- Added Save Playlist toolbar button.
- Saved playlists no longer rely exclusively on locator index numbers. The playlist file format has been extended to include a computed identifier code based on volume and track artists and titles, plus media format.
- File menu MRU items are now preceded by sequential numbers; so that, for example, the second most recent file can be selected by typing Alt-F-2.
- MRUs and other multiline text items saved to the registry now use "|" as a line separator, for better compatibility with regedit.exe.
- Fixed: In any auto-complete combo box, if its existing list was empty and you typed "in" into the edit field, a blank error dialog appeared.
- Fixed: CD Player view display not updated after switching to a drive with no audio CD present.
- Fixed: Ejecting a CD manually while in an Add New CD dialog confused the software, possibly resulting in an invalid database entry.
- Fixed: Excess startup time on occasion.
- Fixed: Print Preview dialog didn't remain in front if app was minimized and then restored while in Print Preview.
- The maximum number of categories has been increased from 255 to 65535.
- Now detects and removes orphaned text strings when opening .trx/.ldb files.
- Sped up import from Winamp playlists, especially when Winamp is visible.
- CD Player view automatically shows Track Artists column if any track artist differs from the CD artist.
- Now reverses data entry field text color if dark background color is selected.
- Fixed: Update Audio File Links function can leave orphan path strings in some situations.
Changes as of version 2.9.5:
- In Volumes view, the Category and Artist filter drop-downs now display only those items actually used for volumes. Previously, a significant percentage of the listed items may have been used only for tracks.
- Added File > Export Track List > CSV format (generic) for convenient direct export to MobileDB-PC and similar applications.
- In the Track Details dialog, changed behavior of the "apply to all tracks" checkboxes to "apply to all following tracks", for more flexibility.
- Numerous improvements to CD player view. The "Connect to" drop-down list is now saved between sessions; arbitrary addresses can now be entered and activated either by pressing Enter or by clicking the checkbox; and to improve Submit usability in general, the "Titles" combo box was replaced by two combo boxes called "Source" and "Remote title", the Submit button hint now indicates the revision that will be submitted, and Submit rule checking is much more informative.
- Now converts tabs and backslashes to and from "\t" and "\\", respectively, within track and volume notes, and when processing CDPLAYER.INI and CD database records in general.
- Improved immunity to spurious "media not present" CD drive status responses.
- Added brief explanation of freeware provisions to VisiTrax Lite About box.
- Fixed: When re-indexing within an overlapping range, some index numbers with decimals (e.g. "CD0123.2") were not being renumbered correctly. [The basic algorithm for correlating decimal indexes was redesigned to use linked lists instead of recursion; the new algorithm also no longer treats .1 as a special case, nor does it care which decimal values are actually present.]
- Fixed: When importing into Volumes view via paste, some rows with duplicate index numbers were being discarded despite user's acceptance of duplicates.
- Fixed: Subtitles not being correctly written out in VTFI (.txt) format.
- Fixed: Some freedb servers (with addresses not containing "freedb.org") were still being accessed using the older cddb protocol level 4.
- Fixed: If app had last been run with maximized window size, the screen is improperly repainted when it first runs after installing an update.
Changes as of version 2.9.3:
- Now uses freedb.org as the default CD data service, because the original cddb.com is changing over to a commercial "for pay" service.
- Added CD Year and Genre fields to CD Player view (and to CDPLAYER.INI), to support freedb.org's protocol level 5.
- When parsing artist/title delimiters from freedb or CDPLAYER.INI, semicolon is now included as a non-standard, low-precedence candidate, and precedence is now given to delimiters surrounded by spaces.
- For CDs with various track artists, the track artists and titles are now always submitted to freedb, or written to CDPLAYER.INI, using the same "/" convention as used for the CD artist and title.
- Implemented "best guess" AutoSwap when parsing non-standard track artist/title combinations from freedb or CDPLAYER.INI.
- Hate splash banners? Added View > Options > Splash Banner on Startup.
- Grid selection cursor bar is now suppressed unless the grid has focus.
- F3 (clear filters) now returns focus to the listing grid.
- Enter key while in filter control now restores focus to grid (as with F2).
- Setting sort order by clicking on a column header now behaves the same as when making a selection from the Sort menu; i.e., the cursor bar stays with the same track/volume.
- When importing tabular data via paste, now identifies problem column(s) by name, if any rows contain insufficient data.
- Fixed: Playlist Gap Time up/down control not fully functional.
- Fixed: After CD ejects, always need to click Eject twice to load new CD.
- Fixed: Updating CDPLAYER.INI adds excess blank lines.
Changes as of version 2.9.2:
- Splash banner added at startup.
- Volume category and year can now be set explicitly, and used as filters. The resulting new filter layout is now more like it was prior to v2.9.1. (To conserve layout space, the Volumes view's Reapply Filters button is now a toolbar button.)
- In the manual data entry dialogs, the Title field now appears first.
- Added "Playlist Items Only" filter option to View menu, plus tool button.
- For most combo boxes, pressing up/down arrow now automatically activates the drop-down list; also, when a drop-down is activated via the keyboard, the mouse cursor is moved out of the way as necessary.
- Shared filter shortcut view switching is now based on the starting view.
- Clicking on an empty filtered grid now resets all filters.
- Clicking on the Volume Contents view's title banner now activates the Volume Details dialog.
- A new hint (tool-tip) now appears when grids don't have focus.
- Substantially increased playlist maximum capacity. Widths of the Playlist view's leftmost and Start columns now dynamically adjust based on the data.
- Substantially improved rendering speed for Playlist checkmark symbols.
- Playlist view now includes "Move to Top" and "Move to Bottom" functions, with corresponding Alt-Home and Alt-End, plus "/" and "*" shortcut keys.
- Now permits read-only viewing of details for tracks in an active playlist.
- In Volumes view, "+" is now equivalent to right-click > Add to Playlist.
- Now shows Volumes view after manually adding a new volume with no tracks.
- Registration dialog now includes a link to the pricing and order web page, and its Update button now checks for empty data.
- Fixed: CD autodetect could switch main form to CD Player view while main form is beneath another, eventually triggering an access violation.
- Fixed: Given a selected volume with no assigned Index, when a volume editing dialog is activated, the Locator Index field is not correspondingly blank.
- Fixed: Pressing "+" in an empty tracks list adds an empty Playlist entry.
Changes as of version 2.9.1:
- Now prints multi-line notes, via new "Notes columns" Print Preview control.
- Print Preview dialog now remains visible when its Print button is clicked.
- Added F1 Help link to print preview dialog.
- Print status popup now indicates page numbers rather than sheet numbers.
- Added Nominal Duration field to Playlist view, to support display of remaining playlist time available.
- Decoupled Volumes view Artist filter from Tracks view Artist filter.
- Revised auto-complete behavior in data entry dialogs. (Data is entered exactly as typed, unless actually auto-completed.)
- Text field combo box dropdown heights now auto-sized for best display fit.
- Now suggests use of CD Player view if user chooses Edit > New Volume and a new audio CD is detected.
- Now cancels Auto-Hide mode if the Volume Contents view's Artist column is manually promoted into the main set.
- Case-insensitive wildcard filtering improved for non-US locales.
- Added info message for Windows XP users experiencing slow CD MCI_PLAY response. (This only occurs with some CD drive models, and should be fixed in SP1; for more details, see Microsoft's KnowledgeBase article Q308928.)
- Fixed: "Spreadsheet compatible" copy to clipboard broken in v2.9.0 (ouch).
- Fixed: In "Columns as shown" page layout, items are skipped between pages.
- Fixed: Toggling between "Automatic" and "Columns as shown" page layouts messes up pagination for the latter.
- Fixed: Residual in-place editor text appears in CD Player tracks grid if CD ejected while in a different view.
- Fixed: Not automatically detecting inserted CDs on some Windows XP systems.
NOTE: Due to a necessary change in the way settings are saved, updating to this version, or reverting to a prior version, will reset most custom program settings.
CAUTION to Registered Users: Running a prior version after updating to version 2.9.1 can require re-entry of your authorization key.
Changes as of version 2.9.0:
- Added more filters to Volumes view (Artist, Title, Notes).
- Added Remove Filters button to the toolbar.
- Year filter field now includes a drop-down list containing decades.
- BPM filter now includes an optional tolerance field, plus up/down controls.
- Filter operators now consist of NOT (^), AND (&&), and OR (||). Operators can be spaced from text (e.g. "Beatles || Starr=").
- Filter controls in Volumes view can now be hidden, as in Tracks view.
- Edit > Find now unhides the filter controls if they were hidden.
- Added track subtitle field (dumps into CD Player as title: subtitle).
- Added Grp Time field, which indicates the total time for tracks belonging to a given track's group (same as track time if track is not part of a group). A track group is defined as a set of all tracks in the same volume having both subtitles and identical titles.
- Now supports Intro time of ":00" (as distinct from blank).
- Added File > Export Track List function, to facilitate uploads to DJintelligence.com or WeDJ.com.
- Re-Index Volumes function now lets you specify the new starting index.
- Added automatic leading-space removal to track and volume editing dialogs.
- Added View > Reset Column Widths.
- Relative column widths are now saved between sessions. Improved column width readjustment algorithm.
- Added Sort Across toolbar button, to reset sorting precedence per column display ordering in a single operation.
- Added flyover hints for data view cells containing truncated text.
- Added Previous and Next buttons to the toolbar, to facilitate browsing volumes while in the Volume Contents view.
- Added "Edit > Renumber Tracks" to Volume Contents view.
- Volume Contents view's right-click menu now includes "Add to Playlist", which adds every track in the selected volume to the playlist in one step.
- Added new View > Auto-Hide Track Artist menu item (both this and the corresponding toobar button are available only in the Volume Contents view).
- Now supports importing separate tracks and volumes tables via paste, in two steps. Tables must use volume locator index as a linking key.
- Now detects duplicate volume indexes or duplicate track numbers during paste; user can decide to ignore or continue.
- Printouts from Tracks or Volumes view now have more informative page titles.
- Added "Duplicate supression" and "Indented subheadings" controls to the Print Preview dialog.
- Can now change fonts and printer setup from within the Print Preview dialog.
- Distinct printing fonts can now be set for the page title, column headings, subheadings 1-3+, and the listed data.
- Added Auto-Eject checkbox option to the Add/Update CD dialogs.
- CD Player view now features a track number indicator box. Track time box text color changed from green to amber (to better distinguish from the green track number). Currently playing track's title now appears as a hint popup for either box.
- Instead of disabling Add/Update/Modify buttons when data is missing or invalid, their captions are colored maroon; and if the button is clicked in that situation, an informative message is displayed.
- Changed "Gray Data Entry Boxes" menu option to "Data Entry Box Colors", with custom background color selection.
- In filter data fields, changed "<all>" to "-any-".
- Max Time field now shows "-any-" by default (was just blank).
- Now checks for fit within the current screen dimensions when restoring settings, in case display resolution was changed.
- "Limit Reached" warnings added if attempt is made to create too many distinct categories or media formats (currently 255 max for each).
- Clarified "rows skipped" warning message associated with import via paste.
- Now uses separate thread for CD access, to improve UI responsiveness during the CD eject/load cycle.
- In the CD Player view, the Tracks grid edit cell's background color is now the same as that of the other cells.
- Clicking a CD player mode button now immediately disables any that are no longer valid (faster visual feedback).
- Fixed: In-playlist checkmarks appear only in cells containing text.
- Fixed: CD Player "Update" not filling in missing tracks.
- Fixed: Under certain conditions, the CD player tracks grid edit field is erroneously rendered on the header row when scrolling.
- Numerous additional improvements and fixes.
Changes as of version 2.8.1:
- In all grids, first row is now suppressed unless it contains data.
- Fixed problem recalling playlist files.
- Fixed minor handle leak.
Changes as of version 2.8:
- Added "Composer" and "Track Notes" fields, both searchable.
- Added multi-line "Notes" edit box to Track/Volume editing dialogs.
- In CD Player view, "Extra" fields are now named "Notes", and their text now word-wraps.
- Renamed "Edit > Modify..." to "Edit > Update Details..."; also re-titled the "Modify..." dialogs. This was done to more accurately reflect the role of these dialogs, and to make the terminology more consistent.
- Now saves font script (charset) for user-defined font settings.
- Sped up delete actions by deferring grid updates.
- Removed Category and Year from the "Update Current CD" dialog.
- Fixed: "Grid Index Out of Range" error message if CD is ejected while playing a track other than 1 and "Swap Artists & Titles" is checked.